Tuesday, February 2, 2010

King of Spontanious Actions... And sadly impuls purchases.

It all started yesterday.
The plan was to hand in my watch for repairs (the glass has been broken for nearly a year) go a local book sale with my mother and buy 5 books that I had seen in a catalogue, have lunch with her at a café owned by a friend, go to my local record dealer and buy 3 specific cds and then go home. This is what really happened...

It started out all right. My watch got handed in and they will contact me when it is ready.
I then went on down through Fredericia to meet up with mum and go book hunting with her. I quickly found 3 of the 5 books I wanted:
"Den der har evnen" - a book with quotes from 2 very very succesful Danish businessmen.
"The Da Vinci Code" - by Dan Brown of course, but in danish. I will have to buy it in english as well.
and "Geographica" - a world atlas with facts about different countries.
What I didn't find was: "Håndbog i Hemmelige Selskaber" - which is a book about different secret societies.
And "Zoneterapi og Akupressur" - a book of techniques I might be able to use in line of work as a masseur.
Sadly the secret society book was sold out but the nice girl behind the counter called another book store and found a copy of the akupressur book. She got my phone number and she would then call me when the book had found it's way to Fredericia. She kinda did, but more on that later.
After the pleasing and somewhat succesfull visit to the book store we headed off towards the café to have lunch. As we arrived at our destination we found that it is closed on Mondays. Somehow, somewhere in the back of my mind I kinda knew that, but here we were, books in hand and nowhere to eat. We quickly decided on one of my favorite spots in Fredericia. "Den Engelske" - My local pub. So we turned around and went back. And I mean litterally back. The pub is on the opposite corner of the book store we just left. We both had lunch (mum a club sandwich(and she's not even a member?) and me a bacon burger) and coffee and then we went on in the program for the day.
Outside the pub we went our separate ways for a short while. Me to go look for the cds and mum go to do her grocery shopping. I didn't find what I was looking for at first, so it was pretty much in and out at the record dealer. And I just went back at met up with my mother who was shopping. I walked around with her for a bit but after a few minutes we parted again. I left to go back to the record dealer and ordre the cds that I wanted.
"Beautiful Minor" - by Julie Maria
"På Kanten af Virkeligheden" - by Julie Maria
and "Yaguar" - by Julie Maria.
The story of me buying 3 cds from the same artist is that I am going to one of her concerts in a couple of weeks. And eventhough I don't know if she will actually come out afterwards to sign autographs, I would not want her to sign some cds that I have burned myself just because I legally have downloaded her music. That wouldn't be right. So I want the cds, and I hope she is signing.
Anyway. I looked around in the shop and found one of cds. But in looking I found 2 completely unrelated cds that I ended up taking with me to the counter. 2 cds with "Me First and the Gimme Gimmes". As I was standing there ready to pay I saw "Meteora - special edition" by Linkin Park at a stupidly low cost. So I grabbed it off the shelf and put it on the counter. I ordred the last 2 cds by Julie Maria and because I am such a good customer I ended up not having to pay for the Linkin Park cd. Sweet!
On the way back through town to get home I once again stopped by the book sale. Just to ask the nice lady if some of the specific books were in english or in danish. The next natural step apparently was to go and have a look at the shelves with books written in english and I found myself a few copies of Harry Potter. "Chamber of Secrets" and "The Goblet of Fire".
From here I started my way home but for some strange reason, even unknown to me, I ended up in a shoestore and after maybe only 5-10 minutes left with a new pair of black Ecco shoes? I still have no idea how this happened?
From there I really did go home and started preparing for teaching my children's group in kicking ass and taking names. And later when I was teaching them I got a call.
Off course I didn't see that until after practice, but it was the nice girl from the book store who told me that my book had arrived and I could just collect it whenever I had the time. So neato for meo.
That was day one. Quick summery. 5 books and 3 cds had spawned into 5 books (3 original and 2 spur of the moment) and 4 cds (1 original and 3 woops, I don't have that ones) and 1 pair of shoes.

That brings us to today.
Already yesterday I decided to go downtown and get my book today, because they would be renovating the sewer system in and around my building today. Starting at 8 AM and stopping at 5 PM. I knew that this would result in my entire flat smelling like sewer so I wrapped myself in warm clothes and headed out on foot into the blizzard that hung over Denmark.
I came down to the book store and told them that I had recieved a call telling me that my book should be here by now. It wasn't!? But it was available only in another city (I got that info yesterday) and it would be in Fredericia later today. Around 3 PM. My thought was something like "Meh! I now have 3 hours to kill." and I went into the next room of the bookstore and bought myself a shit load of stuff for my Filofax. Calender, note, adress/phone and divider sheets. This was not planned. And I went across the street to the pub to get myself something to eat.
After spending 2 hours in the pub which resulted in eating lunch, having a pint of John Bull Ale, 2 cups of coffee and a chocolate muffin I took the chance and went back to the book store. The guy that was out getting books had still not returned, so I ended up walking around the shop finding a book here and a book there and even though I had no intention in buying anything I left the shop with 3 purchases.
"Valhalla 15 - Vølvens Syner" - a comic about the Gods of Nordic mythology.
"Muskler og Styrke Træning" - an anatomic guide to different training exercises.
and "1001 Movies You Should See Before You Die".
I then came to my senses and started on my way home. As I was walking I remembered a dear Facebook friends status update about the blizzard that was to hit Denmark and my joke-comment to that. He had written something about blizzard and the first thing that popped into my mind was the computergame "Warcraft", and I made a comment about Blizzard releasing a "Warcraft IV". For those of you who don't know Blizzard Entertainment is the name of the company responsible for the "Warcraft" and "World of Warcraft" games. Well you get the idea... So back on track! I had this thought about blizzard and "Warcraft" and took a small turn to end up in Fona. As I was leaving Fona a few nimutes later I was carying a small bag with "Warcraft III - Reign of Chaos", "Frozen Throne - Warcraft Expansion Set" and "Fearless" with Jet Li.
Once again I started on my way home and got most of the way without any troubles.
Walking home I realised how much I really enjoy new fallen snow. The sound it makes when you step in it, the way it just covers everything in the landscape and the fact that it muffles the sounds of cars, so one second a car goes by and the next no sound at all. I like that. I don't mind the cold and the snow. It's the wind and the ice that pisses me off. But that is an entire different story all together.
Walking and pondering I made yet another small de-tour to end up buying a little something sweet to go with my coffee later. And then I arrived home. To a flat that smelled like feet and sewer.

So there you have it. What started out as an apointment with my mother to go to a book sale and buy 5 books, have lunch with her and get my watch fixed ended up somewhat different.
The status is:
8 book and 1 waiting.
4 cds and 2 waiting.
1 DVD movie
2 computer games (1 game, 1 expansion pack)
Several sheets for my Filofax
My watch at the repair shop to be collected later this week
A little something sweet to go with my coffee
And a pair of new black Ecco shoes.

Only one thing to say about it really.

Meh!?

2 comments:

  1. Hehe.. I'm sorry that my FB updates spawn such irrational behavior on your part.. Yet, at the same time I'm pretty happy to see that you act about as irrationally and weirdly as I do.. WOOT!

    Great blog so far, by the way. I'm enjoying every minute I spend reading it.. As well as killing a fair amount of time at work doing so ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries. :oD
    It is always nice to visit an old friend. And my new purchase beats the living crap out of the german version of the game that is actually on my laptop at the moment.
    I know this without even having installed it yet.

    ReplyDelete